Sunday, July 26, 2015

Slow Stitching Sunday

I was contacted a couple of days ago, and asked if I could repair a quilt.  Her puppy had chewed a hole thru the quilt.  This quilt was made in the late 1980's.
Quilt I was asked to repair
Here is the hole the dog made.
dog chewed thru quilt
This is a pretty quilt, but, both solid colors are not 100% cotton.  I finally found a white that matches pretty closely.  The backing is a bleached muslin, and the batting is poly batting. 

After I finish repairing the hole on both sides, I'll try to match the quilting pattern.  This entire quilt was made by hand.  Look closely, and you can see the stitches holding the 2 red pieces together.  Both the red and the white are poly cotton blends. 
all hand stitched and hand quilted
Thank goodness this hole isn't very big.  Unfortunately, no matter what I do, it will show the repair.  This is a special quilt, as a family member made it for her. 

I'm linking up with Kathy's Quilts for Slow Stitching Sunday.

11 comments:

  1. WOW! That is an undertaking, and a very selfless thing to do for your friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Aunt Ginny wants me to repair a quilt that is at least 60 years old, it is falling apart and has a big hole that is shredding and the backing is very fragile. I'm not sure it can be repaired?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have just been looking over my husband's quilt "Paul's Plaid Stars". I made it for out 30th anniversary with a star for each year and one for each kid. Because he allows the dog on the bed, while he is sleeping and pays no attention, the quilt is full of holes ... some very big.
    Our king sized quilt also got chewed while I was away to the states and he let the dog on the bed. That quilt I was able to repair and gave it to one of my daughters. Both quilts I have saved spare patches but looking at the plaid stars, there may be just too many holes to cover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful quilt and a treasure to have! I look forward to seeing the repair! No matter how hard you try the repair will be seen somewhat. I'm sure it will look great and the owner very appreciative of your efforts to match it as close as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The repair will be part of the quilt's history!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm hoping you'll share how you did the repair. I have a quilt sitting here that was sent to me for repairs (after I said no, LOL), I have ideas but I'd love to know how you're doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad she brought the quilt to you - you obviously knew what to do! The repair will be part of the quilt's story. Thanks for sharing. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. And when you're done with that one, I'll bring you the quilts my infamous granddog Max has used for a chew toy! Dogs love quilts as much as people I guess! Good luck with the repair!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your friend is lucky to have someone like you in her life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's awesome that you can do this. I wouldn't know where to start.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My dog chewed on two of my quilts. One of them I gave to the SPCA. Let another dog finish it off. The other one is on a high shelf out of the dog's reach. Maybe I'll repair it someday, or maybe I'll give it to the son who was in charge of the dog when he got a hold of the quilts.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).