Sunday, July 2, 2017

Learning Ruler Quilting, and, Mystery Quilt

I took a ruler foot class today.  I've been wanting to learn how to quilt using rulers.  I purchased the ruler foot set back in April, before I even signed up for the class.  I'd asked for a set similar to this one for Christmas, but, didn't get it.  This set was much cheaper than the set I'd asked for.
this is the set I got
I went out of town, shortly after the set arrived, so, I never got around to playing with it.  All of the sudden, late last week, I realized that the class was only a few days away.  Oops!  I did play with some of the rulers yesterday, while cleaning my machine, and getting everything ready for the class. 

There were 12 of us in class, so, it took a while for us to get going, since so many machines needed to be checked, and adjusted.  Mine had had perfect tension on Saturday, while testing the foot and rulers, but, when I got to class today, my tension was terrible.  I finally gave up, and just pulled out different thread and bobbin, and, wouldn't you know, the tension worked great.  REALLY, same brand thread, just different colors. 

First, we tried some straight lines, with the ruler that comes with the foot (starter kit, I got the bonus kit).  Then I turned my ruler around, and tried the rounded edge.  Not bad.
first few tries
Next, I pulled out a ruler from the bonus kit, and tried it.  Clam shells on one side and half circles on the other side.
next ruler
Shortly before the class ended, the teacher showed us a different tool that we could use.  I had some of the rulers to go with this tool, so, I bought the tool.  It is to help us mark the quilting lines, so that we could line up the special rulers properly. 
special tool

After using the special tool to mark my sample piece, this is what I stitched.
last stitching
I could have done this in 2 different colors, layered, but, class was ending, so, no time.  I knew that if I didn't try this in class, I'd forget how it was done.  Not only am I a visual learner, but, I'm also a hands on learner.  If I don't do it myself, I'll never remember how to do it. 

I may have to leave my Janome set up on the dining room table, and play with this.  I don't have room to set the Janome up in my sewing room, since I need the extension table, in order to do this properly.  I don't have any place to set up the extension table in my sewing room. 

***Warning about old electrical parts***  Yesterday, hubby and I took a machine out of the base, so that hubby could glue the base back together for me.  I'd never tried this machine out.  I got this machine back in January, when I was still having problems with my elbow, and didn't want to mess with it then.
late 1940's Japanese class 15
This machine came with a motor, and some wiring that had been taped with electrical tape.  Hubby and I decided to plug it in, to see if the motor turned (no belt, so, I was holding the motor in my hand).  As soon as I tapped the foot pedal, BOOM!  The motor blew sparks, and out shot the end of the cord, where it attached to the motor.
you can see the end of the cord, and, the hole where it is supposed to be attached, along with the carbon from the burn

Sparks landed on the cutting mat below.  It now has tiny spark burns on the mat.  Thank goodness this isn't one of my good mats.  I'd just brought this old mat downstairs, so that I could cut some things on the dining room table.  I'm thinking that this motor is toast!  Glad I can turn this machine into a hand crank easily.

The reason I needed to do some cutting downstairs, is because I'd covered my cutting table upstairs so that I could take my ironing board out.  Hubby helped me recover the ironing board yesterday.  I didn't take a new picture, but, this is what it looked like when hubby first made the top for me.
enlarged top to ironing board

I had to recover this, since, the Teflon surface didn't like some starch I'd used, a while back.

I really wanted the ironing board recovered before I started prepping for Kevin's Mystery Quilt Along, Sapphire Stars.   I'd pulled out my blues, reds, yellows and a few neutrals, and washed them.  I've experienced so much bleeding with quilt shop quality fabrics the past few years, that I prewash ALL my fabrics before I use them.  The link above tells you what you will need for this Mystery.  The next link is to Clue #1.  Other than the size difference, this is the same thing I've been working on for my Family Reunion quilts.  Easy peasy!  Now, to start cutting, so that I can start stitching. Check out the Mystery, it isn't too late to join.

I offered a machine to someone, and yesterday, they drove up and picked it up.  I forgot to take pictures, and I don't think I even have a picture of the machine.  It was a Singer 66 with Lotus decals.  I already have a machine like this (with better decals).  This machine will be put into a lovely treadle base.  I'm glad it now has a home where it will be used.  More machines will be going out the door in the next 5 weeks, since I'll be attending 2 different TOGA's (Treadle On Gathering & Academy) in 2 different states (Michigan and Tennessee).  I'll also be getting some treadle irons out of the garage.  Woohoo!  I've been needing to 'downsize' my collection a bit.  I even resisted taking another machine for a trade for the treadle irons (an embossed White in a Martha Washington cabinet, that needs work).  GOOD GIRL!  We'll see how well I continue to do, over the next few weeks ;)

Hope you are having a great weekend, and have a Happy Forth of July!


14 comments:

  1. I'm sure glad you weren't burned or injured by that motor! That is one scary thing on an old machine, plugging it in for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ruler work adventure looks like a plus for you. I think you did good.I learn best by doing too.
    Glad the motor did not burn you or start a fire....that is so scary. Spreading some machine love around is good.....and makes space for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your samples with the rulers look amazing, I hope you keep playing and let us see the results. That's scary stuff with the old wiring, I'm glad it wasn't worse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa - sparks are not good! So glad all ended well. So glad you were able to take a ruler class - wish I could one near me. That special tool would be extremely helpful. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your ruler works fabulously-did you feel comfortable using them on your DSM, or is it one of those things you just have to ppp to get comfortable?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the quilting ruler experience info - I'm off to do more research!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your quilt ruler class looks like it was great. Um electricity, sparks and boom, not a good thing. Glad everything is alright.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you are ok. I am in the process of slowly stripping 2 layers of paint off a Martha Washington cabinet, no machine. Found on craigslist, paid too much, but machines & cabinets are not cheap around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are no-reply, so, I can't reply privately to you :( I picked up a nice embossed White in a Martha Washington cabinet, years ago, for a pony express. The nice lady the machine was for, made me a small wall quilt, of my Spartan hand crank. What a great quilt, and a great machine and cabinet. I just don't have the room for the cabinet now. Too bad, they are lovely!

      Delete
  9. Looks like you picked up how to quilt with the rulers quickly! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the quilting you did...learning is such a good thing for so many reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great first ruler work. By chance, I also just bought my first rulers and a ruler foot for my machine. Now all I have to do is practise. As there are no classes nearby, I'll probably buy a Craftsy class. Lucky that you didn't get hurt with that motor blowing up in your hand. And I love your ironing table; I'm sure it makes ironing much easier, especially a bit quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You just continue to learn and grow as a quilter! Great work! Thanks for playing along with "Sapphire Stars!" I hope you have a great time making it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your ruler work looks good to me. That tool looks like it will be a real assist in using the rulers on fancier designs, too. I'm so glad that the motor didn't burn your hand! That machine case looks so much like mine. I wonder if someone converted it from a handcrank originally. The machine looks smaller than mine, though that might not be true.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are IMPORTANT to me. Thank you for commenting. If you are a no-reply commentor, please leave me your email address, so that I can reply to you. If you don't want everyone to see your email address, then you can send me a private reply (my email address is listed under my profile).